What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Disney stopped 4K/UHD releases for most Catalog Titles? (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
why would I spend money to buy UHD copies that are already on Disney+ in UHD?
He doesn't care why you would spend that money, but he'll gladly take it if you do.

I subscribe to Disney+ and don't have any plans on stopping any time soon. But I would purchase all of the Marvel shows on disc and/or digital format if they were available. That's money that Disney is leaving on the table.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Remember that they’re not just talking about discs, they’re talking about ancillary revenue in general - about changing the original premise that anything made for Disney+ could only be seen on Disney+ in perpetuity.

Other subscription streaming services have already embraced that idea. This simply puts Disney in line with their peers.

For HBO, this meant shopping Westworld repeats to a “free with ads” streaming service after it ceased making money for HBO, so they could get some additional revenue.

For Paramount, this meant putting the first season of “Star Trek Discovery” on the linear CBS network when they had a hole in their broadcast schedule.

For other streaming services (including those two examples above) it meant releasing titles both on disc, and at digital storefronts for people who want to buy an individual title without subscribing to a service.

Those are all low-effort opportunities to bring in a little more cash without having to put a lot of work into it.

It was reasonable for Disney to hypothesize that keeping their exclusives on their service would bring them the most value. It’s also reasonable for them to look at their data four years in and see that the hypothesis wasn’t entirely correct and to adjust accordingly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm the only person in my family and circle of friends that regularly buys physical media.
Same here, and also among many friends that all bought DVD in the 90's, and early 2000's.
Physical ownership of movies is dying. Even among niche collectors that once cared about "ownership" and no longer do.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
So sad these threads always turn into a ping pong ball people are so entrenched thank all opinions matter but know one knows how it will shake out BUT Mr C and Josh pegged it it will be a niche market it will give income to the studios and that is a good thing on Iger according to the bits it might not be till 2024 until what he wants to do with home vid is known KINOs Mr Tarzi is great VCI said they have more too in store they are now working on The Bat Whispers from 35mm so as long as their is money to be made they will stay in BIZ!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Somebody show this thread to Iger and he will reconsider the foolish idea to offer more content on physical media. Physical media is dying after all and has been for many years so why bother - might as well shut down this forum section, too while we are at it ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney is the only major streaming service not to regularly offer physical media copies of its programming. Warner, Paramount, and to a lesser extent, Amazon and Netflix , all sell Blu-rays, DVDs and sometimes 4ks of their shows. There is no question Disney is leaving money on the table, and they’re not known as a company that does so.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We admire your spirit but Disney seems to have a different strategy. But things can change. Right now ALL major media companies are chasing ROI/profitability. Physical media is like the magazine business. It still exists but very diminished. They want you to stream. They don't want to physically manufacture, ship, print, warehouse. They don't want headcount. Does that mean that a lot of titles will never be available on physical media ? Sadly yes. Be thankful for the companies that do produce and license and be realistic about the ones that don't and never will.
Thought I'd pick up on the bit in bold. I don't know about the US but in the UK there is scant evidence of a big decline in magazine printing. I am always amazed at the hundreds of magazine titles on display in retailers like W. H. Smith and surveys show that the vast majority of people still prefer to read a physical copy of a magazine than read it on line. I've no idea how the economics work but even with some decline in readership, magazines still manage to be profitable. It's easy to generalise and say, print media is dying or physical media is dying but we've been hearing that for 20 years so. As long as there is a sustainable market, not everything has to appeal to the mass market.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Disney is the only major streaming service not to regularly offer physical media copies of its programming. Warner, Paramount, and to a lesser extent, Amazon and Netflix , all sell Blu-rays, DVDs and sometimes 4ks of their shows. There is no question Disney is leaving money on the table, and they’re not known as a company that does so.
Pixar movies are out on blu ray as are Marvel films and Star Wars titles. Last time I looked, Fantasia is still available.
So sad these threads always turn into a ping pong ball people are so entrenched thank all opinions matter but know one knows how it will shake out BUT Mr C and Josh pegged it it will be a niche market it will give income to the studios and that is a good thing on Iger according to the bits it might not be till 2024 until what he wants to do with home vid is known KINOs Mr Tarzi is great VCI said they have more too in store they are now working on The Bat Whispers from 35mm so as long as their is money to be made they will stay in BIZ!
Core Disney and current Disney -Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars -is not a niche market. And they release those. Asking Disney, who now owns the Fox library, to now dig deep in 1920s-1970s Fox titles is asking them to be niche and we'll see about that. Maybe they will and maybe they won't create their own WAC. Either way, doing so won't cause a ripple in Disney's stock price.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thought I'd pick up on the bit in bold. I don't know about the US but in the UK there is scant evidence of a big decline in magazine printing. I am always amazed at the hundreds of magazine titles on display in retailers like W. H. Smith and surveys show that the vast majority of people still prefer to read a physical copy of a magazine than read it on line. I've no idea how the economics work but even with some decline in readership, magazines still manage to be profitable. It's easy to generalise and say, print media is dying or physical media is dying but we've been hearing that for 20 years so. As long as there is a sustainable market, not everything has to appeal to the mass market.
The UK is probably different. I worked for a major magazine publisher for 16 years. Trust me, traditional print media is dying. It exists and some of it will exist for years to come. But it is a shell of its former self. Magazines are thinner w less ads and less money spent on original photography, reporting, etc. Specialty publications do ok. Fashion magazines still do ok as the digitial experience for that type of publication isnt easily duplicated on the web or apps. But like physical video media, the vast majority are for older readers. Younger people don't buy magazines anymore. Maybe when they travel. In Los Angles, most of the major newsstands have disappeared or shrunk in size.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Disney are in rapid decline and they care not . I expect Walt is revolving at high speed wherever he might be.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Pixar movies are out on blu ray as are Marvel films and Star Wars titles. Last time I looked, Fantasia is still available.

Core Disney and current Disney -Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars -is not a niche market. And they release those. Asking Disney, who now owns the Fox library, to now dig deep in 1920s-1970s Fox titles is asking them to be niche and we'll see about that. Maybe they will and maybe they won't create their own WAC. Either way, doing so won't cause a ripple in Disney's stock price.
BINGO the FOX library NOT being monetized except for MOVIES! or FXM -- how many films were part of that package? ANd if Disney released ORIGINAL Fantasia - unedited Make Mine Music etc that would be revenue

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

But where are the discs for WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki, She-Hulk, The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc?

That's what we talking about when we say Disney is leaving money on the table.

I've never paid for a subscription to Paramount+, but I can watch the first two seasons of Star Trek: Picard whenever I want because they sold them at Vudu.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Disney are in rapid decline and they care not . I expect Walt is revolving at high speed wherever he might be.
Walt isn't revolving as he is long dead. And they care. A lot. Anyone clamoring for the good old days when WD himself was running things is delusional. All traditional major media is taking a hit but rapid decline is really overstating things. Is it alarming? Sure. But your idea of what would fix Disney and Wall Street's vision are very different. A robust physical media release plan isn't the issue. Disney is dealing w the post pandemic world in theme parks, movie income, and an eroding cable business. A growing streaming business that needs to be profitable.
But where are the discs for WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki, She-Hulk, The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc?

That's what we talking about when we say Disney is leaving money on the table.

I've never paid for a subscription to Paramount+, but I can watch the first two seasons of Star Trek: Picard whenever I want because they sold them at Vudu.
They want you to suscribe to Disney +.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
They want you to suscribe to Disney +.
Warner wants you to subscribe to HBO MAX, but they still put out discs of House of the Dragon, Peacemaker and other streaming-exclusive shows.

Paramount wants you to subscribe to Paramount+, but they still put out discs of Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, and so on.

Amazon wants you to subscribe to Prime, but they still put out discs of Jack Ryan, etc.

You get the idea.

With the exception of House of the Dragon, none of those titles are probably doing blockbuster numbers, but they’re selling enough that the studios make something from them. Disney, with its Star Wars and Marvel titles, could indeed do blockbuster numbers.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Warner wants you to subscribe to HBO MAX, but they still put out discs of House of the Dragon, Peacemaker and other streaming-exclusive shows.

Paramount wants you to subscribe to Paramount+, but they still put out discs of Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, and so on.

Amazon wants you to subscribe to Prime, but they still put out discs of Jack Ryan, etc.

You get the idea.

With the exception of House of the Dragon, none of those titles are probably doing blockbuster numbers, but they’re selling enough that the studios make something from them. Disney, with its Star Wars and Marvel titles, could indeed do blockbuster numbers.
Understood. But Warner Bros. Discovery gets sh-t about removing their own IP from Max. Not every company has the same strategy and infrastructure. When you don't understand it or it doesn't make sense, it boils down to one thing: money.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Bob Iger: The Streaming `Environment Is Very, Very Tricky Right Now'​

By George Winslow
published 2 days ago
“Not everybody's going to win,” Disney CEO Iger believes

Now you know why he is rethinking home vid

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Finally we might get Aliens 4K, or Boxset.
Yeah, I think something like the Alien sequels is about as deep as Fox will dive if they start releasing catalog titles again. It'll almost entirely be the biggest titles from the 1970's to 2010's. Anyone hoping for more than the biggest sellers or much before 1975 is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They all want you to subscribe to their streaming services, but are discovering that even with a boatload of "exclusives" there's still a large percentage of the consumer base that is not willing to shell out a monthly fee to 17 different streaming services for access to content that only exists as long as you keep paying that monthly fee. Cancel your service and all that content disappears.

However, there is likely a decent percentage of those people that would be willing to buy some sort of disc or digital version that would allow them to own and access the content without the monthly subscription. I'm one of those.

That's extra money in the studio's pocket without affecting their subscriber numbers because we have no intention of subscribing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks