What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness (2022) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I’m less on the Marvel train than I used to be. After a strong 2018, I felt 2019 was their weakest year since 2010 (Iron Man 2). They had three films, two of which are cellar dwellers among the MCU. And the third was Endgame, which was a noticeable step down from Infinity War for me. Felt like it was half-written to generate memes.

Captain Marvel was pretty flat and I actively disliked Far From Home, which is a shame, as I really enjoyed Homecoming.

As with any series that starts to run a very long time, creators get attached to characters and start to write the characters and not the story. Of all the Phase 4 films, I suppose Dr. Strange has me the most interested. Hopefully, this rapid production is indicative of a solid first script.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They do have a script already, but it was written by another writer (Jade Bartlett), and not Derrickson and Cargill, which is all that Cargill's tweet said. And that is the script that the Loki writer is working on updating.

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh for sure. Based on what we know so far, getting this made and released by next May appears to be a challenge. But if any studio can pull it off, it's probably Marvel.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has pushed Doctor Strange again, this time to March 25, 2022.

This allows Sony to open Tom Holland's Spider-Man 3 on Doctor Strange's most recent date of November 5, 2021. Disney has a 25% stake in the next Spider-Man film, which is obviously why they agreed to this.

Interestingly, this means Marvel will have two months with consecutive openings because Thor opens on February 11, 2022.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Interestingly, this means Marvel will have two months with consecutive openings because Thor opens on February 11, 2022.

The ball is really going to start rolling in the fall of 2021. With Spider-Man in November, Thor in February, Strange in March, Panther in May and Capt Marvel in July, it's going to be a busy time. By my count, three years from now, we will have gotten 10 Marvel films.

BTW, Marvel did have two months with consecutive openings last year, with Capt Marvel in March and Endgame in April. (Endgame was one year ago this weekend! Good thing that wasn't the film that was delayed!)

One problem I see with the schedule is that the sequel to Into the Spider-Verse is now scheduled for the same day as an untitled Marvel film, Oct 7, 2022. That's another Marvel film (rumored to be Ant Man 3) that will probably move).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
BTW, Marvel did have two months with consecutive openings last year, with Capt Marvel in March and Endgame in April.

You are right. I guess it didn't feel like that because Endgame was so close to the usual May slot.

(Endgame was one year ago this weekend! Good thing that wasn't the film that was delayed!)

Ah, yes, the good old days. Remember a year ago when movie theaters still existed? ;)

One problem I see with the schedule is that the sequel to Into the Spider-Verse is now scheduled for the same day as an untitled Marvel film, Oct 7, 2022. That's another Marvel film (rumored to be Ant Man 3) that will probably move).

I highly doubt the MCU film will stick. With the addition of Doctor Strange, that means Disney already has four MCU titles in 2022. I suspect Disney might have given Sony the date for Spiderverse as part of their deal, which obviously also included Sony taking the date previously assigned to Doctor Strange.

With four sequels to big franchises in 2022, Marvel will need to space out their remaining established characters. I think this ensures that both Guardians 3 and Ant-Man 3 will end up in 2023.

Also...can we talk about the irony of a Sam Raimi superhero film being delayed for the benefit of a Spider-Man sequel? :laugh:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Benedict Cumberbatch says filming will start in "late October or early November."

Benedict Cumberbatch said:
I’m in pre-production with the second “Dr Strange” film, which is very exciting. We will start filming in late October or early November.

Considering that this movie is not due out until at least March 2022, I'm not sure why they need to start right now. Obviously there will be post-production that they need to allot time for with visual effects and such, but considering the delays that this film has incurred already, it's a bit surprising they have to do it right now. Disney seems intent on keeping the MCU (movies at least) as a theatrical franchise, because they chose to push Black Widow to next year rather than do a Disney+ launch for it. Because it's not even clear if that will be able to come out in May, you'd think they might pump the brakes on this one rather than shoot it during COVID. If they decide they have to push Black Widow again, the whole slate would get pushed with it, and Disney would end up with even more +/- $200 million films waiting for release.

But what do I know?

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Considering that this movie is not due out until at least March 2022, I'm not sure why they need to start right now. Obviously there will be post-production that they need to allot time for with visual effects and such, but considering the delays that this film has incurred already, it's a bit surprising they have to do it right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if this one jumps ahead in line a bit. "WandaVision" supposedly leads directly into this movie, and Marvel is sticking with a December 2020 launch for that show. I doubt they'll want two full years to go by before this movie picks up that thread.

Definitely after Black Widow, and probably after Eternals. But it's looking increasingly likely before Thor: Love and Thunder, with an outside chance of getting slotted in before Shang-Chi.

I'm also highly skeptical that the Far From Home sequel will be released in 2021. It's October and it hasn't even begun shooting yet.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm also highly skeptical that the Far From Home sequel will be released in 2021. It's October and it hasn't even begun shooting yet.

The chairman of Sony said a few weeks ago that they would not be releasing any $200 million tentpole movies until the pandemic is over. He wasn't specifically talking about Spider-Man, but I'm sure it is included in that statement because it is Sony's biggest franchise by far. So, even though Spider-Man has a December 2021 release date right now, we know it won't stick if the pandemic is still a thing by then. I think this depends on how quickly a vaccine can be found and distributed.

In regards to WandaVision, you might have a point there. However, I think that the decision to keep that in 2020 has more to do with it being ready than anything else. Disney+ needs new content, and Marvel has this one ready, so there's no real reason to wait. Also, it will help to maintain interest in the MCU even though circumstances prevented a new film being ready this year.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Definitely after Black Widow, and probably after Eternals. But it's looking increasingly likely before Thor: Love and Thunder, with an outside chance of getting slotted in before Shang-Chi.

Didn't they just announce that Shang-Chi was moved to come out before Eternals?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Another potential reason filming is going forward: they have to. They may have been able to get the entire cast together and have the studio space to film for this block of time only. If they push filming, there could be a pure logistical problem. Also, by filming, they're making sure people work and money gets circulated through an economy. As long as it's safe, when the movie comes out is secondary, for me anyway.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
People are going back to work anyway, or never left. If they keep everyone living and working in the same space like the NBA and NHL did, between that and Disney’s financial resources to acquire testing access, they’ll probably be safer than the rest of us trying to navigate this thing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Plus, the more time they have between the start of production and release the more likely it is that they won’t need to rush the visual effects to hit the release date. It also gives them more time to go back and tweak somethings that aren’t working when the “final cut” comes together.

I know they always schedule time for additional photography, but more time to polish is still more time to polish.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Tobey reportedly is in this.

Multiverse (and likely Spiderverse) full steam ahead.

edit: not sure of the validity of this. Have to look into it.

edit2: yeah, sorry. Jumped on that too quickly. Have heard this rumored for quite a while so when I saw it (especially after the Jaime Foxx news) I wasn’t as skeptical as I’d typically be. Still wont be surprised if this actually does happen though. They are doing multiverse, they are quite likely eventually doing Spiderverse, and Sam Rami is directing. But just rumors as this point.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Very likely as the character Miss America (America Chavez)

I‘ve never read or seen anything with the character, but she seems to fit with both Strange and the Multiverse angle.

“America Chavez was raised by her mothers in the Utopian Parallel, a reality that is out of time and in the presence of the being known as the Demiurge. She appears to have inherited or absorbed some or all of her superpowers from the Demiurge's ambient magical presence.”

Have heard rumors for a while now that this character was coming to the MCU, so my money would be on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks