What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Rachel McAdams is returning.

This is a surprise to me. Even though I really like Rachel McAdams as an actress, the first film didn't give her anything substantial to do, and that was before Strange was running through the multiverse. Now, she would seem to have even less relevance to Dr. Strange's current life. I suspect that the paycheck will be nice, but I'm not sure if this would be the best use of McAdams' time or talent. I kind of expected they would just move on from her. Especially when you figure in the time jump in Endgame, she won't have seen him in years.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
'Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness': Sequel Introduces America Chavez, Sam Raimi Directing

Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Benedict Wong (Wong), Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer), and Chiwetel Ejiofor (Mordo) are all confirmed as returning, as well as the previously announced addition of Elizabeth Olsen (Wanda Maximoff).

Kevin Feige also confirmed that Xochitl Gomez ("The Babysitter's Club") who will be playing America Chavez, whose powers include superhuman strength, speed, and durability similar to Captain America's, but also the ability to fly and travel between different dimensions in the multiverse.

This tidbit is also intriguing: "The Marvel Studios adventure, set to debut in theaters March 25, 2022, will connect the events of next month’s WandaVision, the original new series debuting on Disney+, and the upcoming Spider-Man film."

So the third MCU Spider-Man movie has definitely been integrated into whatever plan they had for "WandaVision" and this movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Given how heavily this one ties into "WandaVision" and the third Spider-Man, it makes sense that the director would have a little less autonomy than in some of the other pictures that aren't doing the same kind of heavy lifting for the franchise as a whole. If he wasn't interested in making the movie that Marvel Studios needed him to make, good on him for walking away and let somebody else whose take is better aligned with Feige's larger plan grab the reins. Age of Ultron suffered a bit from the clash between Joss Whedon's vision and the setup it needed to provide for future entries in the MCU.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Derrickson did a very good job on the first film. However, Sam Raimi is also going to do a great job. So I think that is going to work out.

Especially considering that this ties in with Spider-Man, it will be interesting to see if the selection of Raimi is coincidental or not. Obviously, Raimi is capable of making a good movie even if there aren't any references to his history with Spider-Man. But if the rumors about Spider-Man having Maguire back are true, then it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Maguire's Spider-Man to also appear in this film, which would reunite him with his director.

I don't know this. I'm just guessing. So don't yell at me for spoilers if it turns out to be right. But I certainly think it is possible.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Danny Elfman worked with Sam Raimi on his first two Spider-Man films as well as Oz the Great and Powerful. So in that respect it isn't surprising that Raimi would go to him again. However, it is a little surprising that Michael Giacchino isn't returning because he did the first Doctor Strange score. Giacchino should keep going with the third MCU Spider-Man with Jon Watts, though since he did both of the previous ones.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really liked the sound of Giacchino’s Doctor Strange score, but it is cool to have Elfman back with Rami for this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Whether Marvel would confirm that at this point or not, I'm not at all surprised Bruce Campbell will be in this. Isn't he a regular with Sam Raimi? It would be more surprising if he wasn't in it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even though we're still a year out from it's new release date, I'm wondering if we'll get a teaser for this at the end of Friday's "WandaVision" finale, given that Wanda's story continues directly into this. They've been filming since November, albeit with interruptions resulting from COVID-19 lockdowns, so there would be footage to use.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even though we're still a year out from it's new release date, I'm wondering if we'll get a teaser for this at the end of Friday's "WandaVision" finale, given that Wanda's story continues directly into this

Interesting theory, and it's certainly possible. But I'm not sure they would because Doctor Strange is going to visit Spider-Man before his movie, so there's an additional stop on the road to this movie before we get to it. So they might or might not want to reveal anything this soon.

I've heard a few sites here and there around my Facebook feed running with a rumor that Wanda may also appear in Spider-Man first. But they cited no sources and I think that might just be somebody taking a guess because both are going to be dealing with multiverse issues. If Olsen was going to go to Spider-Man, Sony and Marvel would have no real reason to deny that because we already know she's going to Doctor Strange anyway.

We'll see.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Whether Marvel would confirm that at this point or not, I'm not at all surprised Bruce Campbell will be in this. Isn't he a regular with Sam Raimi? It would be more surprising if he wasn't in it.
As surprised as Clint Howard in a Ron Howard movie.

Or Greg Grundberg in a JJ Abrams movie (or TV show).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As has been mentioned in multiple other threads this morning, Disney shifted dates for a bunch of Marvel titles. This one slides back 42 whole days to May 6 instead of March 25.

This makes it easier for Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness to avoid a problem Spider-Man: Far From Home ran into. With Far From Home so close on the schedule to Endgame, Sony wanted to start promoting their movie before Endgame came out and actually resurrected Peter after his Infinity War death.

I was wondering how Disney was going to begin marketing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness for a March release because we know he's in Spider-Man: No Way Home. I think it is fair to assume that whatever happens in No Way Home is going to lead directly to Multiverse of Madness. Now, with that movie in May, Disney won't need to start marketing as soon. This will give more people time to see No Way Home and wherever that movie's storyline leaves Doctor Strange before Disney has to begin the marketing campaign for his movie. So I think that's a win.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks