What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

General Discussion Jonathan Majors arrested! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Now what’s Disney going to do?

Not just in relation to Majors himself, but Kang’s role (given the next Avengers film has Kang’s name in the title).

I’m guessing a recast.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
(given the next Avengers film has Kang’s name in the title).
Does it, though? We know that it did once. Both the original writer and the previously announced director of that film has departed and they just hired a new writer. It seems very possible that The Kang Dynasty could be reworked with a new villain and a new title. They aren't tied down to sticking with the previously announced title. Captain America 4 was announced as New World Order and ultimately changed to Brave New World. Infinity War was originally announced as Part 1 and Part 2 before they decided to go with Endgame. Hell, The Mitchells vs. the Machines was retitled after trailers had already been played in theaters for it under its original title.

Disney is facing two separate issues here. One is Jonathan Majors and the other is audience disinterest in Quantmania. Recasting fixes the first problem but not the second. Even it this case had never happened and Jonathan Majors was the sweetest person alive, I would be rooting for them to dump Kang because Quantumania did not make me interested in seeing more of the character. I also think Loki season 2 gave them a perfect off ramp for the Kang storyline if they want to use it.

If they do want to continue with Kang as a character, I think recasting just became inevitable. But they don't have to continue with him.

There is also the independent film Magazine Dreams with Majors as the lead. Disney bought it at Sundance and recently pulled off the release schedule.

I also want to say here that the fact that Majors has been found guilty of assault is a much worse thing than anything that will happen to a movie.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Guilty on two charges and not guilty on two others.
That is important to note as far as his trial and potential jail time are concerned.

However, I think even one guilty verdict is enough to impact his career.

According to Variety, Marvel has already decided to drop him. This isn't surprising, but they're certainly speedy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is important to note as far as his trial and potential jail time are concerned.

However, I think even one guilty verdict is enough to impact his career.

According to Variety, Marvel has already decided to drop him. This isn't surprising, but they're certainly speedy.

Whatever happens to him in Hollywood isn't my concern. I just wanted it to be clear that he was found guilty of one third degree misdemeanor. The other charge he was found guilty of, doesn't even carry any criminality in regard to jail time. It looks like he was found not guilty of two other misdemeanor charges. He might not serve any significant jail time, if he does then it's going to be far less than a year.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Does it, though? We know that it did once. Both the original writer and the previously announced director of that film has departed and they just hired a new writer. It seems very possible that The Kang Dynasty could be reworked with a new villain and a new title. They aren't tied down to sticking with the previously announced title. Captain America 4 was announced as New World Order and ultimately changed to Brave New World. Infinity War was originally announced as Part 1 and Part 2 before they decided to go with Endgame. Hell, The Mitchells vs. the Machines was retitled after trailers had already been played in theaters for it under its original title.

The current title is still Kang Dynasty, as far as we know. They haven’t announced a change yet. I was asking what they would do given the current title - though of course now that he’s guilty, a change in title is certainly on the cards!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For me, my interest in this case has been because of what happens to him in Hollywood.

Abusing women is never okay. I want to be clear about that. But I don't feel like celebrities' personal relationships are my business. I don't like to follow that kind of thing.

It became significant to me because Majors is/now was involved in Hollywood projects I am invested in, and the question of his actions became a question of his future involvement.

They haven’t announced a change yet.
You are correct.

But I don't think they need to announce a change for it right away in order for it to have changed. I wouldn't until they know what they are doing with that movie. It isn't scheduled for release until May 2026, so they have time to rework it and just not tell the public what is going on until they are ready.

But yes, you are absolutely right. If they are keeping Kang and/or the title, they have to recast. That is a certainty now that Marvel has dropped him.

At this point, I would drop Kang as a character regardless of Jonathan Majors, though. I would say the same thing following Quantumania and Loki season 2 even if this court case had never occurred.

It’s all so sad.
As a fan of some of his previous work, I think it is sadder that he did these things than that his career will suffer for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks