What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

General Discussion Jonathan Majors arrested! (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wasn’t implying that his actions were ok.
I didn't mean to imply that you were. But I don't sympathize with him.

In the entertainment space, I feel most for the rest of the cast and crew of Magazine Dreams because this verdict makes it unlikely that their work will be seen.

As far as we know, Marvel has already released all their completed projects featuring Majors.

I loved Creed III and am glad it was successful before this stuff happened and that we are still getting Creed IV. Majors won't be needed for that, so they can move on cleanly.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
THR just said this:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
"Marvel has two courses it could take now. It could recast the part, although it is not clear how many actors would be attracted to a role from which one actor was so publicly fired. The other course is to redevelop its plans and refocus on a brand new villain. While Marvel sources are mum, there is indication that the studio has already been doing just that. In November, Marvel hired Loki creator Michael Waldron to work on a new draft of what was once called Kang Dynasty, but is now being referred to as Avengers 5, according to sources."

@Joe Wong

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Recasting seems to be the best course, and I’m sure Marvel has already considered who they’d be interested in.

It’s already been established in the MCU, in multiple projects, that different multiversal variants of a person do not need to be tied to one face. So a Kang (or Kangs) that look different from Majors would be consistent with what they’ve already done.

The Multiverse Saga is still the Multiverse Saga, and it’s been built with Kang as a central player. Makes the most sense to stay the course with a recast instead of abandoning the character. But there can be variants of Kang that can be quite different people from the versions we’ve met so far. So they may be better off really embracing that.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Recasting seems to be the best course, and I’m sure Marvel has already considered who they’d be interested in.
They can do that. But what actor is going to want to be the one to replace a guy so publicly fired?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sean is 100% correct that a recast is possible in this situation. But the circumstances surrounding Majors being fired are quite different from Terrance Howard leaving over money and Edward Norton leaving over creative differences. It's not even analogous to William Hurt passing away and being replaced by Harrison Ford. I think it might be more difficult to find a new actor for this one than it has been in the past.

Plus, Kang is already damaged goods following the response to Quantumania. My preference after that movie would be to move on from Kang. But I acknowledge that is not their only option. We'll see what they do.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don’t agree that because an actor is publicly fired from a role that the role then becomes toxic. It’s a fictional character.

But the nature of THIS character and the story in which he/she would be portrayed also allows them to “reinvent” the character while also keeping to the established logic of multiversal variants.

Just take a glance at this article that goes over the many variants of Kang in Marvel comics. No need to read word for word if you’re worried about comic book knowledge becoming a spoiler for future films. Just glance through it and you should get the idea.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It’s been rumored for a bit now that Marvel would shift focus to Dr. Doom. I hope they do. He’s a far more interesting adversary.

Also, Avengers 5 will be retitled.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just take a glance at this article that goes over the many variants of Kang in Marvel comics.
Oh, I believe you that there are other variants and Disney/Marvel can use other actors. They absolutely can do whatever they want. It's their movie and they'e calling the shots here.

I just don't think they should move forward with any storyline that involves any variant of Kang ever again.

I would like to see them move on from the utter mess they have made of this storyline. I would say the same thing if Majors was not guilty of anything and was still attached to the role. I'm happy to agree to disagree on this point.

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
This should be a lesson to any actor with some promise of a bright career. You better pick wisely. Not just your parts but who you associate with. All of this could have been avoided but judging from the audio that has been put out on social media " he has issues". Shame he was a interesting actor that had a certain appeal. He at best will be a supporting actor now if lucky.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This should be a lesson to any actor with some promise of a bright career. You better pick wisely. Not just your parts but who you associate with.
Emphasis in that quote is mine.

Just to be clear, are you actually saying that Majors shouldn't have associated with his now-ex-girlfriend in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding your intent? I don't think it's right to turn this around on her. He is the one who has been found guilty of abuse. She is the victim here.

If other actors should take any lesson from this, it is that you shouldn't abuse your partner. I would have thought that is obvious though.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Producers can’t really know which actors or directors or writers will end up publicly humiliated or charged and/or convicted of crimes. That’s why you build clauses into contracts - like I’m sure Majors had - that termination is automatically triggered upon certain events.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Emphasis in that quote is mine.

Just to be clear, are you actually saying that Majors shouldn't have associated with his now-ex-girlfriend in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding your intent? I don't think it's right to turn this around on her. He is the one who has been found guilty of abuse. She is the victim here.

If other actors should take any lesson from this, it is that you shouldn't abuse your partner. I would have thought that is obvious though.
Judging by some of the information that came out about her and the general tone of the relationship, it sounded toxic on both sides. I'm not blaming the girlfriend for his choice of behavior, but if I'm Johnathan Majors and have a bright future I must protect it. This turn of events has derailed whatever career he worked for. Yes, he did it too himself and it sounds like he has issues but so does that girl. I look at it somewhat like the JD & AH situation. Both sides have guilt but it's their fault they let it get there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
t1XDoIv.jpeg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But the nature of THIS character and the story in which he/she would be portrayed also allows them to “reinvent” the character while also keeping to the established logic of multiversal variants.
Yes, it's not even really a recast since they would be playing a different variant of Kang than the ones Majors played.

The bigger issue is that audiences haven't connected with him as a villain. If Quantumania had been a runaway hit, a recast would have been a sure bet. But since it underperformed, Majors's issues provide cover for them to go in a different creative direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks