What's new

ClassicFlix RARE TELEVISION Thread (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Here's an idea... how about a ClassicFlix release of the Bell System Science Hour specials (the first four produced/directed by Frank Capra, the subsequent four produced by Warner Brothers), hosted by Dr. Frank Baxter, on DVD and (possibly) Blu-ray?

1.) Our Mr. Sun (1956 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/UPA)
2.) Hemo the Magnificent (1957 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane Productions)
3.) The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays (1957 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane, puppetry by Bil & Cora Baird)
4.) The Unchained Goddess (1958 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane)
5.) Gateways to the Mind (1958 Warner, animation by Chuck Jones)
6.) The Alphabet Conspiracy (1959 Warner, animation by Friz Freleng)
7.) Thread of Life (1960 Warner, animation by Robert McKimson)
8.) About Time (1962 Warner, animation by Phil Monroe)

After debuting on TV, they were played for decades on 16mm in schools (I saw a couple of them that way in the early 1980s). A clip of Hemo the Magnificent is seen, as a juxtaposition gag, in the science teacher scene in Gremlins (1984).

Image Entertainment issued the Capra episodes on DVD over two decades ago, Rhino Home Video released all eight on VHS and Laserdisc (the latter through Image Entertainment, if I remember correctly) over three decades ago. I could be wrong, but they appear to be either all or partially in the public domain or with a small, independent rights holder. I don't think the Warner-produced episodes are still with Warner (and possibly never were), as they've never issued them on home video themselves.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
^^^

Do you guys really think that was a good show? Where have you all seen it since then? Are you just remembering it fondly, perhaps, because there were times I thought I'd love to see it again and see what it was like now. I recall watching it Sunday nights.

I wrote this in February on this thread:

I watched that episode and it was terrible and I'm usually a pretty forgiving person when it comes to these things. The guy who posted it along with his observations had seen a number of these somewhere and was not too complimentary about the series, either. So I had to ask if your thoughts are based on memories of watching it back then or you've had other access to it recently.
I’m going by my memory of watching it regularly back then and a couple of mediocre video quality episodes I was able to see in VHS about 25 years ago.
I wouldn’t dismiss a show from that era until I’ve seen the entire series or most of it which an unlikely DVD release would provide.

WWoD

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Willcott
Here's an idea... how about a ClassicFlix release of the Bell System Science Hour specials (the first four produced/directed by Frank Capra, the subsequent four produced by Warner Brothers), hosted by Dr. Frank Baxter, on DVD and (possibly) Blu-ray?

1.) Our Mr. Sun (1956 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/UPA)
2.) Hemo the Magnificent (1957 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane Productions)
3.) The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays (1957 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane, puppetry by Bil & Cora Baird)
4.) The Unchained Goddess (1958 Capra, animation by Bill Hurtz/Shamus Culhane)
5.) Gateways to the Mind (1958 Warner, animation by Chuck Jones)
6.) The Alphabet Conspiracy (1959 Warner, animation by Friz Freleng)
7.) Thread of Life (1960 Warner, animation by Robert McKimson)
8.) About Time (1962 Warner, animation by Phil Monroe)

After debuting on TV, they were played for decades on 16mm in schools (I saw a couple of them that way in the early 1980s). A clip of Hemo the Magnificent is seen, as a juxtaposition gag, in the science teacher scene in Gremlins (1984).

Image Entertainment issued the Capra episodes on DVD over two decades ago, Rhino Home Video released all eight on VHS and Laserdisc (the latter through Image Entertainment, if I remember correctly) over three decades ago. I could be wrong, but they appear to be either all or partially in the public domain or with a small, independent rights holder. I don't think the Warner-produced episodes are still with Warner (and possibly never were), as they've never issued them on home video themselves.

Isn’t there a Disney episode? Now that Disney has doled out home media responsibilities to Sony, maybe a complete set is possible.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Isn’t there a Disney episode? Now that Disney has doled out home media responsibilities to Sony, maybe a complete set is possible.
Possibly. It's an outlier, in that it's half the length of the previous specials, and Dr. Frank Baxter is replaced by an animated drop of water, voiced by Sterling Holloway --Wikipedia's description.

I don't think I've ever seen it, it was never included in any of the previous Bell Science video releases, and nobody's ever uploaded a print to YouTube (as far as I know). Unlike the situation with the Warner-produced specials, perhaps it's still Disney property and is buried in the Disney vault. It wasn't included in the Disney DVD releases where it would naturally fit as a bonus feature, namely 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the four volumes of Disney True-Life Adventures or the Tomorrowland set.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
^^^

Do you guys really think that was a good show? Where have you all seen it since then? Are you just remembering it fondly, perhaps, because there were times I thought I'd love to see it again and see what it was like now. I recall watching it Sunday nights.

I watched that episode and it was terrible and I'm usually a pretty forgiving person when it comes to these things. The guy who posted it along with his observations had seen a number of these somewhere and was not too complimentary about the series, either. So I had to ask if your thoughts are based on memories of watching it back then or you've had other access to it recently.
I watched a handful of episodes about 10 years ago, and a few in recent years. I wouldn't call it a great show but Baron, Hutchins, the premise and the decade are more up my alley than a lot of Marshall shows. I've never seen the Brian Keith Show. The other 70's/80's shows I enjoyed first run but don't find myself revisiting them, except the early years of Happy Days.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I've tried to place an order on the Classicflix website, but there is no option available for shipping to Canada.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've tried to place an order on the Classicflix website, but there is no option available for shipping to Canada.
Because they don't ship outside the U.S.

1711470200791.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I own those as well, and love the show.
Re. Waterfront.
Same here. Maybe Preston Foster’s finest moment, and featuring the great Willie Best!
I’d love to see the complete series on DVD, especially with the Classic Flix treatment’

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
^^^

I have all but 2 episodes that I bought on film years ago. To me, the show is still funny and holds up as well as most shows from that era.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I have all but 2 episodes that I bought on film years ago. To me, the show is still funny and holds up as well as most shows from that era.

Maybe I just didn't like that particular episode I found to see in that link. Glad it's still around, though, even if it is only at your place!

Do you have Marhsall's 1980 series Goodtime Girls? I'm curious about that one, too. The wikipedia page says "The series' third episode ("Night and Day") was the only one that ABC chose not to air during its run, for unexplained reasons."

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Possibly. It's an outlier, in that it's half the length of the previous specials, and Dr. Frank Baxter is replaced by an animated drop of water, voiced by Sterling Holloway --Wikipedia's description.

I don't think I've ever seen it, it was never included in any of the previous Bell Science video releases, and nobody's ever uploaded a print to YouTube (as far as I know). Unlike the situation with the Warner-produced specials, perhaps it's still Disney property and is buried in the Disney vault. It wasn't included in the Disney DVD releases where it would naturally fit as a bonus feature, namely 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the four volumes of Disney True-Life Adventures or the Tomorrowland set.
I remember a series of 16mm films run in school just like this with Dr. Research and I feel like Dr. Baxter is the same fella. I'd love a release of these films.

Man, school sure was different then. 16mm films, filmstrips, sometimes watching the PBS lineup with shows like The Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact and The Metric System.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dave, I know your release schedule will be full for the next year or so, but I always like to mention shows that I thought were good, just in case they might be something you could look into down the road.
So here goes: THE CHARLES FARRELL SHOW. Ran as a summer replacement program right after My Little Margie ended it’s run, and then rerun several times. Only 12 episodes which I think were filmed at the Hal Roach Studio.
Is that something you might be interested in?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
So David , I was wondering what the criteria is you use when selecting shows for release on DVD and possibly Blurays.
I’d guess, usable source material, PD if possible, not too many seasons?
It seems to me World Of Giants was licensed from ZIV.
Abbott And Costello Show came from Costello estate?
Is it still possible to work out deals with families who still own shows, like must have happened with Angel.
How do you know if a show is still under copyright? For example, Gray Ghost-I wonder if CBS bothered to renew the copyright.
Some shows like Ramar Of The Jungle.Wasn’t that owned by Jon Hall? Did his kids take the time and spend the money to renew? Ditto Wild Bill Hickok.
I have a lot of curiosity about this stuff!!!
And , I’m psyched about your Classic TV line and hoping to buy many lost shows down the road!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
So David , I was wondering what the criteria is you use when selecting shows for release on DVD and possibly Blurays.
I’d guess, usable source material, PD if possible, not too many seasons?
It seems to me World Of Giants was licensed from ZIV.
Abbott And Costello Show came from Costello estate?
Is it still possible to work out deals with families who still own shows, like must have happened with Angel.
How do you know if a show is still under copyright? For example, Gray Ghost-I wonder if CBS bothered to renew the copyright.
Some shows like Ramar Of The Jungle.Wasn’t that owned by Jon Hall? Did his kids take the time and spend the money to renew? Ditto Wild Bill Hickok.
I have a lot of curiosity about this stuff!!!
And , I’m psyched about your Classic TV line and hoping to buy many lost shows down the road!
Yes, we're doing mostly PD now, but A & C did come from the estate and we did license all 66 Hoppy films.

To find out if a title is under copyright, you have to have a search done on it with people in the know (or go to LOCs site, but I don't believe it's exhaustive or definitive in terms of legalities).

Yes, it's still possible to do business with families and smaller rights holders, but the difficult part is finding out which ones they own and how to contact them.

Not sure about RAMAR.

FYI - Between our RARE TV line, Hoppy and the OUR GANG (Rascals) silents, we currently have enough to keep us busy for the next few years without licensing any new content.

We also have about a half dozen or so other projects for which we already have content scanned, but have yet to start restoration.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Yes, we're doing mostly PD now, but A & C did come from the estate and we did license all 66 Hoppy films.

To find out if a title is under copyright, you have to have a search done on it with people in the know (or go to LOCs site, but I don't believe it's exhaustive or definitive in terms of legalities).

Yes, it's still possible to do business with families and smaller rights holders, but the difficult part is finding out which ones they own and how to contact them.

Not sure about RAMAR.

FYI - Between our RARE TV line, Hoppy and the OUR GANG (Rascals) silents, we currently have enough to keep us busy for the next few years without licensing any new content.

We also have about a half dozen or so other projects for which we already have content scanned, but have yet to start restoration.

- David
I’ll be looking forward to those future projects including Angel and Hoppy. And I’m also hoping some interesting TV shows are among them.
I just checked out the LOC site. It’ll take me a little time to fully figure it out! Thanks for the info!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

David, I'm assuming that (like Angel) just because you've licensed all the Hoppys doesn't mean you'll release them all. I'm guessing that first volume, whenever it's released, is going to determine if you continue. Is that correct? And as a follow-up, does the license have an expiration date? How quickly do you need to release the Hoppys if they sell well?

Gary "once again, thanks for all you do" O.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
David, I'm assuming that (like Angel) just because you've licensed all the Hoppys doesn't mean you'll release them all. I'm guessing that first volume, whenever it's released, is going to determine if you continue. Is that correct? And as a follow-up, does the license have an expiration date? How quickly do you need to release the Hoppys if they sell well?

Gary "once again, thanks for all you do" O.
The plan is for all 66 HOPPY's to be released in 22 3-film volumes on our top line. The first two volumes have been scanned and won't be "special editions", but we are adding value with commentaries and bonus features.

We hope they sell well, but if they do not we may have to break them up into double features or even releasing each film as stand-alones.

If sales are extremely poor the last resort would be to move them over to our Silver Series line which would mean they'd still get new HD scans, but we'd spend less on restoration, packaging and they'd have no bonus features or subtitles.

And for those who haven't seen it, here's the artwork for VOLUME 1 of HOPPY...

Hoppy 1 Blu Final 600.jpg

- David

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Yes. It was titled "The Restless Sea" and was the last of the series airing in 1964. It is not as clever as the Capra produced episodes that preceeded it, but is notable for the deep water bioluminescent animated sea life sequence in the film. Originally created for Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Walt felt it looked too cartoony for the serious live action feature and it was removed from the feature. A few seconds made it into an early 20K trailer, and I believe it is included in the bonus material on the old deluxe 20K dvd.
Screenshot_20240417_074337_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240417_074659_Chrome.jpg

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The plan is for all 66 HOPPY's to be released in 22 3-film volumes on our top line. The first two volumes have been scanned and won't be "special editions", but we are adding value with commentaries and bonus features.

We hope they sell well, but if they do not we may have to break them up into double features or even releasing each film as stand-alones.

If sales are extremely poor the last resort would be to move them over to our Silver Series line which would mean they'd still get new HD scans, but we'd spend less on restoration, packaging and they'd have no bonus features or subtitles.

And for those who haven't seen it, here's the artwork for VOLUME 1 of HOPPY...

- David

I'm confident they will sell very well. Really hoping the first set comes before year's end.

Gary "looking forward to these immensely" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks