What's new

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Bassett also works quite a lot in TV. I wonder if that brings out some elitist snobbery with some voters when voting on awards meant for film?

I've liked her in whatever I've seen of her, which is admittedly not a whole lot, but... what other roles would y'all definitely want to see her get noms though? I can't really think of much of any (besides the 2 she did get)...

_Man_

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m still surprised she didn’t win 30 years ago for What’s Love Got To Do With It. Holly Hunter won for The Piano.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The issue that we are bumping up against here is how arbitrary awards season can be. Holly Hunter and Angela Bassett can both have deserved recognition for their respective performances. But (most of the time, except in the rare case of a tie) only one person can get the award. If the Academy of today voted again on those nominations, maybe Bassett would get it. Or maybe Hunter would get it again. Awards are nice, especially when they draw attention to worthy films and help people get in positions to make more. But losing doesn't devalue a nominee's work. Awards season itself is just a singular construct, where there has to be a winner.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I figured this would be as god a place to post this as any.

Ruth E. Carter (who won Costume Design Oscars for both Black Panther films) recently wrote a book about her career. "The Art of Ruth E. Carter" includes chapters about both Black Panther and Wakanda Forever as well as other work throughout her career.

810HqaC47pL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Carter did a book signing event last week at The Academy Museum in Los Angeles. The Academy Museum store is selling signed copies of the book online if anyone here wants one. I'm not trying to sell for them or anything but thought others here might want to know. I just received my copy. It is a really beautiful book.

You can also get the book on Amazon for cheaper $36 (as of right now) but those would be unsigned.

I wasn't there for the signing but visited the Academy Museum a couple weeks ago while I was visiting family in California. Among the things they have on display is one of Carter's costumes for Okoye in the first film. It was very cool to see in person.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Getting caught up on Marvel. Watched this last night.

:emoji_boom: Coogler directed the sh*t outta this film. :emoji_boom:

Acting was superb. Story was incredible, especially given what they had to work with.

Is DC taking notes?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Strange. I saw this once in the theater. Enjoyed it. And haven’t really thought about it since. The first one was superior in every way imo.

Speaking of DC, I enjoyed The Flash much more than this film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't really know how much I have to add to the discourse around this film at this point because I feel like I said it all when the film came out. I love this movie and that is already well-documented throughout this thread.

However, it is interesting to see this thread bumped now because I don't think Marvel has done anything anywhere near as good as Wakanda Forever since. I'm generally a big fan of the MCU but, over a year out from its release, it is really the last thing from the MCU that I have loved. A year ago at this time, I was pulling for Wakanda Forever to get a Best Picture nomination. Now, Quantumania and The Marvels are both on my list of worst movies of 2023. I would not have predicted that at this point last year, but that is what happened.

Meanwhile, the Ironheart series is still not dated despite having completed principal photography before Wakanda Forever was released. They have essentially engineered the show as a spinoff of this film but aren't getting it out in a timely manner to capitalize on the movie's success.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Getting caught up on Marvel. Watched this last night.

:emoji_boom: Coogler directed the sh*t outta this film. :emoji_boom:

Acting was superb. Story was incredible, especially given what they had to work with.

Is DC taking notes?
OK... fine! I'm completely Marveled out, but I guess I'll give it a shot. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks