What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Avatar: The Way of Water (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray) and Avatar (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why is it most North American Blu-ray 3D releases (generally-spkng) have always included the 3-D version on a separate disc, while their UK/Euro and Australasian counterparts were/are most often released as hybrid discs (i.e. 2D and 3D on same disc)?

It depends how the film was made. Some films make the 2D version one of the eye views, whereas others make the 2D version unique by combining elements from both eyes. If the 2D version is just the left eye view, then they can share a disc, but if not, they don’t fit on the same disc.

When other films are shot 2D and then converted to 3D, it’s very rare that the 2D version is just used as one of the eye views. They usually use the 2D version to synthesize unique left and right eyes for the 3D, which means that neither eye view can serve as the 2D version.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MovieMan66

Grip
Real Name
Jay
I accidentally preordered the 3D Blu-ray instead of the UHD from Best Buy last night, and unfortunately, Best Buy will not let me cancel my preorder because it is already "Ready for packaging" 4 weeks out from release :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be digging out my Quest 2 to watch the 3D version...
Best Buy has been pulling this for quite a while. Five minutes after placing a pre-order they put it in "getting ready for packaging" status and gray out the "cancel" button, even if the item won't be available for 6 months, just to discourage you from even trying to cancel. Of course you can cancel - I've done it many times myself. Just call (which is the more efficient way) or do an online chat with them. They are unlikely to give you a hard time (they've never done that with me) but if they do just use the logic that "how can it be getting ready for packaging when it isn't even available until June 20th?!!!. ). You will have no problem, I promise.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon Blu-ray 3D preorder live.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Best Buy has been pulling this for quite a while. Five minutes after placing a pre-order they put it in "getting ready for packaging" status and gray out the "cancel" button, even if the item won't be available for 6 months, just to discourage you from even trying to cancel. Of course you can cancel - I've done it many times myself. Just call (which is the more efficient way) or do an online chat with them. They are unlikely to give you a hard time (they've never done that with me) but if they do just use the logic that "how can it be getting ready for packaging when it isn't even available until June 20th?!!!. ). You will have no problem, I promise.
Good to know. It's a shady business practice that will keep me from pre-ordering from them in the future.

In any event, I'm a sucker, and I'm going to keep my preorder for both the 3d and UHD sets. I will probably upgrade to a 3D-capable projector in a few years, and who knows if a 3D disc or streaming version will even be available by then. At this point, I'm buying discs for archival purposes.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
And if you belong to the Disney Movie Club, there is this option---

DMC.png

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Its a shame the original film isn't being reissued in 3D.

Its not as if the original 3D release was widely available.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 3D Blu-ray released in 2012 is still available on Amazon right now.

..and I seem to remember it being widely available.

If I remember correctly, it was released at the height of the 3D home explosion. I know that there were a lot of demo discs from 3D display manufacturers that featured clips from the movie, so I know it was being heavily promoted.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered from BB with PayPal and the money was taken out immediately.

I have a pending charge on my credit card. I am hoping it disappears in the next day or so as I expected from all the online information I received, that Best Buy does not charge your card until ship.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
..and I seem to remember it being widely available.

If I remember correctly, it was released at the height of the 3D home explosion. I know that there were a lot of demo discs from 3D display manufacturers that featured clips from the movie, so I know it was being heavily promoted.

The Avatar 3D disc was originally an exclusive item only available with the purchase of a Panasonic 3D TV. However, in 2012 it was finally released to general retail as a "Limited Edition" that still seems to be readily available.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I did a pre-order for Avatar 2 at Best Buy. Doesn't really matter to me when they charge my card. Plus I had a rewards certificate that will expire soon.

I bought into the "Limited Edition" marketing on the first film's 3D disc release and snapped it up at the time (still haven't watched it), but it does continue to turn up everywhere.

I probably fell for it again by pre-ordering the second film. I don't usually do pre-orders. ;) But given that most 3D releases have faded away, this will be a separate UPC, and it's "Disney", I wonder if they'll really do a limited run of these. Though if the demand is there, I can't imagine they wouldn't make more, if necessary.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I did a pre-order for Avatar 2 at Best Buy. Doesn't really matter to me when they charge my card. Plus I had a rewards certificate that will expire soon.

I bought into the "Limited Edition" marketing on the first film's 3D disc release and snapped it up at the time (still haven't watched it), but it does continue to turn up everywhere.

I probably fell for it again by pre-ordering the second film. I don't usually do pre-orders. ;) But given that most 3D releases have faded away, this will be a separate UPC, and it's "Disney", I wonder if they'll really do a limited run of these. Though if the demand is there, I can't imagine they wouldn't make more, if necessary.

Malcolm,

You are right that Disney will keep printing discs if the demand is there.

However, the 3D market is already limited. The minority of people with equipment to view these discs will snatch them up on day one. However, once that's done, it's not like there will be a continued demand for the disc.

I am wondering if studios are still pressing 3D titles that you see listed on Amazon, or if they are remaining stock from a bygone era.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Why is it most North American Blu-ray 3D releases (generally-spkng) have always included the 3-D version on a separate disc, while their UK/Euro and Australasian counterparts were/are most often released as hybrid discs (i.e. 2D and 3D on same disc)?

Most 3D players and/or displays have an option about whether to watch a 3D movie as intended, or flat (not sure if these machines combine both L + R, or if they simply generate one or the other side). But, I never panic when a 3D disc does not include a Blu-ray...for all practical purposes, my equipment will allow for both.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Avatar 3D disc was originally an exclusive item only available with the purchase of a Panasonic 3D TV. However, in 2012 it was finally released to general retail as a "Limited Edition" that still seems to be readily available.

There's a real case study in how badly the studios miscalculated the home consumer 3D market. That a release with a allegedly smaller print run could still be easily available over a decade later.

Malcolm,

You are right that Disney will keep printing discs if the demand is there.

However, the 3D market is already limited. The minority of people with equipment to view these discs will snatch them up on day one. However, once that's done, it's not like there will be a continued demand for the disc.

I am wondering if studios are still pressing 3D titles that you see listed on Amazon, or if they are remaining stock from a bygone era.

I'm honestly surprised they're not doing this as a MOD. Disney should know something about the lack of demand. It was their over saturation of 3D blu-rays in middle America Walmarts that led to its speedy decline.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There's a real case study in how badly the studios miscalculated the home consumer 3D market. That a release with a allegedly smaller print run could still be easily available over a decade later.

I'm honestly surprised they're not doing this as a MOD. Disney should know something about the lack of demand. It was their over saturation of 3D blu-rays in middle America Walmarts that led to its speedy decline.

I don't know about that one. First time I have heard that scenario.

I can say that the only reason Disney is putting this out in 3D is because of Cameron's involvement and most likely, his insistence.

Disney wants nothing to do with 3D so I definitely cannot see them pressing more discs than they are contractually required to.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered from BB with PayPal and the money was taken out immediately.

Just wanted to provide an update...

I preordered from BestBuy last week. There was a charge that appeared on my credit card statement as PENDING. Took a few days, but the charge disappeared.

So, at least for me, BestBuy isn't solidifying the charge until the shipping date.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why didn't they just put this out as a 4K/3D combo and save on creating two SKUs and a pile of extra plastic waste in the form of two separate covers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks