What's new

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yup, I got a similar email notice which is why I didn't cancel my Amazon orders for this movie nor Crossfire as Amazon constantly does this crap.
I wouldn't necessarily call it 'crap'. They've been screwed by their distributors in the past (who shipped merchandise to their competitors before them), so this way they make sure that any date they publish is do-able.

Its better to pad their date and be early than be blasted for being late

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't necessarily call it 'crap'. They've been screwed by their distributors in the past (who shipped merchandise to their competitors before them), so this way they make sure that any date they publish is do-able.

Its better to pad their date and be early than be blasted for being late
It's still the same "song and dance" crap no matter who is the root cause.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No notice for me. Amazon still showing a date of April 9th.

I suspect it will arrive earlier. But, who knows? I'm fine either way.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have very hazy memories of seeing this in the very early sixties in the UK (no doubt under the title of What Lola Wants). I don't remember what I made of it (I was probably around 11 or 12), I didn't know anything about baseball at all, let alone the almost religious importance that the Americans give it (but I do remember enjoying playing rounders at my infant school). I can just about remember the, What Lola Wants, scene (once seen never forgotten), & (I think) some sad scenes at the house where the old guy who becomes the young baseball players lived (& was there a dog missing him? I'm really having to flog my memory here). Anyway, I've decided to buy it, but Wow (who I buy most of my US Blu-rays from) has sold out just before I decided to order it, I had a second choice with eBay, but they've sold out, & I'm sure Amazon will sell out any minute, but that's okay, it'll come back into stock at most places, & it'll be mine before the summer, it will be interesting to see just how much it jogs my memory.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
No notice for me. Amazon still showing a date of April 9th.

I suspect it will arrive earlier. But, who knows? I'm fine either way.
And I just received a shipment notification from Amazon today that it's arriving today. Originally, April 9th. Whatever, but pleased it's arriving sooner than later, so Mike, there's hope for your shipment.

JFKarr

Grip
Real Name
John Karr
I had no idea such vagaries existed at Amazon. I ordered "Damn Yankees" on March 13, and received it three days later.
Sorry so many people had/are having delays. Perhaps you'll appreciate it all the more when you finally get it.

jayME61

Auditioning
Real Name
james valenti
I just ordered my Blu-Ray copy on Amazon...they aren't out of stock.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I had no idea such vagaries existed at Amazon. I ordered "Damn Yankees" on March 13, and received it three days later.
Sorry so many people had/are having delays. Perhaps you'll appreciate it all the more when you finally get it.
Amazon's systems makes no sense, I ordered mine March 9th and it didn't ship till yesterday and it's arriving tomorrow. You would think they would do first come first serve but i guess they just do a random lottery lol

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Crossfire arrived Tuesday.
Damn Yankees arrived Thursday.

I watch a little bit of Damn Yankees and I am impressed.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
A bit of "Damn Yankees" trivia.

Although the film is based upon the Broadway musical of the same name, the musical is adapted from a novel called "The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant" by Douglas Wallop, published in 1954. The title of the book is significant because the New York Yankees had won the American League pennant (and the World Series) each of the previous five years. The Washington baseball team, on the other hand, was routinely mocked as "First in war, first in peace, last in the American League." Ironically, the Yankees did not win the American League pennant in 1954, although it was not won by Washington.

Now for some rank speculation. Douglas Wallop was born in 1920. In 1927 the first volume of The Hardy Boys series, "The Tower Treasure," was published, which introduced the teen sleuths Frank and Joe Hardy. Joe Hardy, of course, is Tab Hunter's character in "Damn Yankees." But there is more. The devil character, played by Ray Walston, is Mr. Applegate. And what is the central plot of "The Tower Treasure?" Why, the search for the Applegate treasure, of course.

Did Douglas Wallop read The Hardy Boys while growing up and was thus inspired to name his principal characters Joe Hardy and Mr. Applegate? Maybe, maybe not. Wallop died in 1985 and apparently it never occurred to anyone to ask him.

Last edited:
Real Name
James
This is one of those titles I've been waiting for in HD for a very long time.

I'm on my 2nd DVD (I wore out the 1st!).

So bring it on, baby!

My only quibble right now is that Amazon is projecting an April 9th delivery for the disc.

Maybe I need to look elsewhere.
You should have gotten it by now. I got the same delivery date in April but it showed up the day after its release.

LeoF

Auditioning
I just watched my copy of the blu ray, which arrived yesterday. For the most part, the film on blu ray looks better than I remember it looking on the DVD. However, from time to time, the color is not correct. For example, in chapter 44, the wallpaper in the living room is two different colors of the same pattern part of the time, but only one color the rest of the time. Perhaps the two-color problem is caused by the way the Devil is brought into the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks