What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time June 2018 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, not knowing anything about the 1955 version, I may have to pick that one up!

my-sister-eilleen.jpg

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nothing here for me...not a one...that is, until June arrives.;)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My Gal Sal? What could be better than another songwriter bio in Blu. Paul Dressler was one if the great american songwriters. Looking forward to this and the other three announced.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would include the live TV version of Wonderful Town which was the Broadway musical version of "My Sister Eileen." Music by Leonard Bernstein . It only exists as a kinescope so probably not much gained by a blu ray. The person who loaded this clip apparently subbed the soundtrack record for better sound once the singing starts and then switches back and forth..

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I made a trip to NYC's Museum of Television and Radio to see this TV version of Wonderful Town since it wasn't available anywhere else. I much prefer it (and its score) to the 1955 Columbia musical version with a different score entirely, but it has its own pleasures and a wonderful cast.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Cannot wait for My Sister Eileen (4k restoration) and Specially MY GAL SAL. I have a spanish dvd edition of the latter, but I am sure the BD transfer will be an improvement. I love these Fox musicals. Hopefully we will have some Betty Grable soon. And, who knows, Alice Faye!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Laserdisc edition that contained both versions of the movie, but to the best of my knowledge the 1942 version of My Sister Eileen has never been on DVD.

That I believe I have buried here in my archive. LDs were the ants pants then in quality. No talk of UHD then!!!!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
And stereo!

You said it! As an enthusiast of 50's and 60's stereo films, I usually buy these even if they are not my favorite films. It's unfortunate that when stereo first became popular with Cinemascope, that all films didn't go stereo after that like they did after Star Wars/Dolby (all movies today are stereo, I believe that is when this began, in 1977). I am not sure why this didn't happen considering thousands of small town theaters installed magnetic stereo sound systems. The stereo from Cinemascope lasted for a few years and then many went back to mono on a good portion of their films, even for some Cinemascope films. How nice it would have been to have all of those pro-1954 releases in stereo sound, considering so many theaters spent a good amount of of money for their magnetic stereo systems.

I know my local theater in Virginia, Minnesota spent almost $18,000 for their mag sound system in 1956. When I interviewed the manager years later, he had felt slighted by the studios at that time for not continuing to release as many stereo films after the initial excitement of Cinemascope started to drop some and the studios went back to many more mono films. That amount of money to invest in a sound system in that day and age was a pretty large investment. He wrongly concluded that stereo would be a reality in most movies going forward back then. He says all of the news stories and studio announcements made it look that way in publications like Boxoffice, The Motion Picture Herald, Amusements and Motion Picture exhibitor magazines. And since I have all the issues of those magazines from 1948-1976, I went to look and they did make it look like they were going to use stereo all the time according to their ads and news announcements.

I am very happy with the movies announced here. Musicals have gotten the bum rap from the studios, so it is nice to see those released. I am a huge fan of post-1953 musicals that had stereo sound, I hope to see more of these released. So happy we got Doctor Dolittle, Bye Bye Birdie, Oliver, Lost Horizon and the other musicals Twilight Time has released. There are still more hopefully to come!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You said it! As an enthusiast of 50's and 60's stereo films, I usually buy these even if they are not my favorite films. It's unfortunate that when stereo first became popular with Cinemascope, that all films didn't go stereo after that like they did after Star Wars/Dolby (all movies today are stereo, I believe that is when this began, in 1977)
Although stereo certainly got a boost post Star Wars, it still took a while for it to become pretty much standard. It really wasn't until the late-80s/early-90s that it became ubiquitous.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
In the early 50's many theaters didn't want to spend the money for stereo sound so, magnetic stereo and a mono optical track were put on the CinemaScope prints.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Guess I'm the only one really disappointed that the original MY SISTER EILEEN is not coming! Still, I'm in for the other 3.

Nope, you are definitely not the only one. I wish it were a double-feature disc (although I plan on getting it for sure).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly like the original more than the musical remake, but the musical version is still worth seeing and having.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks