What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time June 2018 Release Announcements (2 Viewers)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
MY SISTER EILEEN has been shown on TCMHD, widescreen but I don't remember if it had stereo sound.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Cannot wait for [...] MY GAL SAL. I have a spanish dvd edition of the latter, but I am sure the BD transfer will be an improvement.[...]
The first improvement that takes place is when one never buys a single Spanish edition of anything. In case you didn't know it, their reputation is that of bootlegging; which cripples all legitimate markets. And yes, believe it or not, even the individual consumer is affected, as well. There are many titles I am anxiously looking forward to, but never will I ever enable.
Looking forward to yet another feather in the caps of TT
Cheers.

Last edited:

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
The first improvement that takes place is when one never buys a single Spanish edition of anything. In case you didn't know it, their reputation is that of bootlegging; which cripples all legitimate markets. And yes, believe it or not, even the individual consumer is affected, as well. There are many titles I am anxiously looking forward to, but never will I ever enable. Cheers.
Sorry, but I think you are being precipitate in your judgment.. This dvd was not bootlegged. It was an official release, from a company that had a licensing agreement with Fox (whose logo appeared in the cover of the dvd) and that released several classics on pressed dvds, never available on US, before the lauch of the Fox Archives series.. Anyway, I think the image will be an improvement.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I would avoid imports of Fox titles and wait for Twilight Time releases. The Seven-Ups, The Long Hot Summer and Dr. Dolittle all had just so-so releases in Europe and Australia for a while before TT released them with beautiful 4k remasters. Fallen Angel, Whirpool and it appears the upcoming Nightmare Alley are also mastered from older transfers. I'm just saying.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would avoid imports of Fox titles and wait for Twilight Time releases. The Seven-Ups, The Long Hot Summer and Dr. Dolittle all had just so-so releases in Europe and Australia for a while before TT released them with beautiful 4k remasters. Fallen Angel, Whirpool and it appears the upcoming Nightmare Alley are also mastered from older transfers. I'm just saying.
Indeed, as one will never be out-Foxed when sticking by TT.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ok, I do not think you are reading correctly. I was just saying that I had a "My Gal Sal" dvd bought in Spain back in 2010, that I believe is already out of print and just stated that I hope the Bluray from TT will be an improvement. I am not encouraging anyone to buy imported Blurays from anywhere. I am one that buys all classic stuff TT releases, and will buy "My Gal Sal" too.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sorry, but I think you are being precipitate in your judgment.. This dvd was not bootlegged. It was an official release, from a company that had a licensing agreement with Fox (whose logo appeared in the cover of the dvd) and that released several classics on pressed dvds, never available on US, before the lauch of the Fox Archives series.. Anyway, I think the image will be an improvement.
Yes, there was a short period when several Fox titles were legitimately released on DVD in Spain. I bought several of them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The first improvement that takes place is when one never buys a single Spanish edition of anything. In case you didn't know it, their reputation is that of bootlegging; which cripples all legitimate markets. And yes, believe it or not, even the individual consumer is affected, as well. There are many titles I am anxiously looking forward to, but never will I ever enable.Cheers.

While Spain is notorious for bootlegs, 20th Century Fox, Universal and Sony licensed several titles to the Spanish market a few years ago. Among the legitimately licensed Fox titles I have from Spain: Tender Is The Night (wide screen, non anamorphic), The Gift Of Love (wide screen non anamorphic), Home In Indiana, The Lion (wide screen non-anamorphic), Nine Hours To Rama (16x9 anamorphic), Powder River, Revolt Of Mamie Stover (16x9 anamorphic), The Pleasure Seekers (16x9 anamorphic), Way Of The Gaucho, In Love And War (wide screen non anamorphic), Harry Black And The Tiger (16x9 anamorphic), The Second Time Around (wide screen non anamorphic), Secret Of Convict Lake, Diplomatic Courier, Siege At Red River, Bottom Of The Bottle (16x9 anamorphic), Walls Of Jericho, King Of The Khyber Rifles (wide screen non anamorphic), White Witch Doctor, Lydia Bailey, One Foot In Hell (16x9 anamorphic), Kangaroo, Father Was A Fullback, Story On Page One (wide screen non anamorphic), Belle Starr, Eve Of St. Mark and Under Two Flags and I assure you none of them are bootlegs.

I would upgrade all of them to blu if Twilight Time got their hands on them.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Paul Dressler.

No one seems to have picked this error up. It is Paul Dresser(1857-1906). Dressler was Marie Dressler. He was from Terre Haute/Indiana, Cole Porter was from Peru/Indiana. For me they both wrote great perennial songs.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Ok, I do not think you are reading correctly. I was just saying that I had a "My Gal Sal" dvd bought in Spain back in 2010, that I believe is already out of print and just stated that I hope the Bluray from TT will be an improvement. I am not encouraging anyone to buy imported Blurays from anywhere. I am one that buys all classic stuff TT releases, and will buy "My Gal Sal" too.

I do not think it has been confirmed if it is a 2k or 4k remaster. But since it is Fox I would imagine it will be a new transfer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LetsMakeLove_BD.jpg

Now on beautifully arrayed hi-def Blu-ray: the marvelous meeting of glamorous Marilyn Monroe and venerable director George Cukor, mixing music and mischief with Yves Montand and great guest stars. “There is a lot of Marilyn to admire these days, but it still in fine fettle; at age 34, she makes 21 look ridiculous. The smile that reassures nervous males has never been more dazzling. And the comic counterpoint of fleshy grandeur and early Shirley Temple manner is better than ever” (Time).

LET’S MAKE LOVE

Limited Edition BLU-RAYRelease

Only 3,000 units available atwww.twilighttimemovies.com& www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2018

“Monroe, of course, is a sheer delight…she also has a uniquely talented co-star in Yves Montand. Latter gives a sock performance, full of both heart and humor.” Variety

“The teaming of Monroe and Montand works like a charm…Cukor contrives to lend the whole thing a witty sense of enchantment…a delightful experience.” Time Out London

The superlative George Cukor directs a pair of genuine stars, Marilyn Monroe and Yves Montand, in a whimsical musical comedy, Let’s Make Love(1960). She plays an aspiring actress/intellectual who runs into trouble when her off-Broadway revue spoofs a stuffy French billionaire (Montand); he touchily plans to shut down the show – until, that is, he meets Monroe. Nice support is provided by Tony Randall and Frankie Vaughan, with amusing cameos from Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, and Milton Berle; classic songs from Cole Porter are joined by newer delights from Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MyGalSal_BD.jpg
Made for each other: Vintage Technicolor, the breathtaking crispness of Blu-ray – and Rita Hayworth! She is the glittering centerpiece of this popular if fanciful biomusical co-starring Victor Mature and depicting the romance of songwriter Paul Dresser (composer of beloved standards) and a spirited showgirl. An Oscar® winner for Color Art Direction/Interior Decoration with “excellent choreography, gorgeous costumes, good comedy from Phil Silvers, James Gleason and Walter Catlett and a host of tunes” (Jay Robert Nash and Stanley Ralph Ross, The Motion Picture Guide).

MY GAL SAL

“Delivers the kind of old-fashioned entertainment that marked all Fox’s best musicals of the 1940s. Rita Hayworth is at her glamorous best, and Victor Mature makes a very engaging leading man.” – Matt Hough, hometheaterforum.com

“Lively, merry musical treat. A picture crammed with color, songs, and movement, carrying broad appeal for all theatergoers, both young and old.” Variety

A gorgeously accoutered movie musical, My Gal Sal(1942) is a biopic of Gay Nineties-era songwriter Paul Dresser (nicely played by Victor Mature), based on a biographical essay by his brother, the novelist Theodore Dreiser. The ever-lovely Rita Hayworth is the eponymous Sal, a stage star who helps Dresser to become the toast of Tin Pan Alley. The great Hermes Pan provides the choreography; songs are by Dresser and Fox staff songwriters Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MySisterEileen_BD.jpg
Stepping out in beautiful 1080p clarity and dynamic 5.1 audio! Hollywood’s second take on Ruth McKenney’s delightful New Yorker stories about her and her sister’s Greenwich Village misadventures, with a crackerjack cast and dazzling Bob Fosse choreography in widescreen Cinemascope glory. “A testament to the versatility and showmanship of Betty Garrett, who rarely got a leading role, a shameful realization when one sees her set the screen on fire as the funny, knowing, exuberant Ruth” (Thomas Hischak, The Oxford Companion to the American Musical).

MY SISTER EILEEN

“Good-looking widescreen musical…Funny, innocent, and light on its toes.” Time Out London

“Tunes and dances come naturally to situations and are not overly staged. Richard Quine’s direction keeps things gay and moving at a spirited pace.” Variety

Yet another adaptation of Ruth McKenney’s timeless autobiographical stories about two lively Ohio girls trying to make their way in New York City, this musical version of My Sister Eileen(1955) stars Betty Garrett as brainy writer Ruth and Janet Leigh as beautiful actress Eileen. Among their suitors are a randy publisher (Jack Lemmon) and a sympathetic soda jerk (Bob Fosse, who also provides the sensational choreography). Songs are from Jule Styne and Leo Robin; the script is by Blake Edwards and Richard Quine; Quine directs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TakeAGirlLikeYou_BD.jpg
“An entertaining snapshot of the late ’60s and well worth a look. Always a pleasure to see Oliver Reed and Hayley Mills” (Paul Thompson, British60scinema.net). From Kingsley Amis’s provocative 1960 novel comes this unusually thoughtful and well-acted comedy, directed by the phenomenal wit and opera/theater artist Jonathan Miller (Beyond the Fringe), about a suburban British schoolteacher as open to romance as she is committed to preserving her virginity until the time is right, which proves daunting to the fellows attracted to – and affected by – her persuasive charms.

Take A Girl Like You

“Mix in some light comedy and a melancholy ending and you have a film that…has stayed in the minds of those who have seen it. It makes you go ‘Aw...’ as it questions the benefits of a sexually liberated society where love will still complicate matters.” – Graeme Clark, thespinningimage.co.uk

“Reed is quite extraordinary…even better is Hayley Mills, who manages a performance that is both subtle and, in its own way, very moving.”

– Jeremy Richey, mooninthegutter.blogspot.com

The great satirist/writer/director Jonathan Miller’s only venture into cinema, Take a Girl Like You(1970) is an adaptation of the Kingsley Amis novel about a virginal young woman, Jenny (Hayley Mills, in one of her first “adult” roles), and the men who pursue her, particularly Patrick (Oliver Reed), who finds that deeper feelings may overtake his genial caddishness. Also starring Noel Harrison, John Bird, and Sheila Hancock, and featuring a score by Stanley Myers.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The picks and order are in:

Let’s Make Love (1960)
Take A Girl Like You (1970)
Dragonwyck (1946)

Growing my Marilyn Monroe collection with the addition of Let’s Make Love (1960). Got TT’s previous MM offering as well so away we go.

Continuing to adopt more Hayley Mills with Take A Girl Like You (1970) after my recent clearance bin purchase of That Darn Cat (1965) DVD and of course that HM treasure The Parent Trap (1961). Be interesting to see HM in a grown up role.

Finally I reached into the recent TT sale to snag Dragonwyck (1946) as I’m really getting into Vincent Price especially after seeing the TT offering of The Mad Magician (1954), even sans a 3D TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks