What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Fall Guy (2024) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that matters very much. Are Star Wars fans who want to see The Phantom Menace again going to choose The Fall Guy over it? The fan base will come out regardless. Plus, whatever it makes is all gravy for Disney at this point. It made its money back long before Disney owned it, and the marketing costs for the re-release seem nominal. They don't need for it to be competitive with The Fall Guy for #1 in order for it to be a success.
Agreed but I think that Disney probably expected The Fall Guy to be easier competition than it will end up being. It's also not a problem because anything The Phantom Menace makes will basically be profit since there's almost no marketing campaign for TPM.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watch this last night at the preview night.

I really liked this.

The entire cast is outstanding. Not a single weak performance. Ryan Gosling and Emily blunt have great chemistry together both during the "rom com" portions and the action sequences. It reminded me of True Lies in a good way.

Gosling and Winston Duke have a nice "bromance," and it's good to see Winston Duke get some pretty solid screen time here (I think he was underused in the Black Panther movies).

Hannah Waddingham and Stephanie Hsu are always good, and they are good here.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson chews through his dialogue with a hilariously over the top southern (US) accent.

The action sequences were all really solid--which is predictable given the movie's nature and production. But none of them were over the top or zany. They basically (and perhaps deliberately) checked off most of the standard stunts/action sequences you've seen movies for decades. Very fun and entertaining, and they never dragged on and on (which I think happens in many action movies now).

The movie is filled to the brim with inside Hollywood and behind-the-scenes jokes.

The plot clips along nicely, and there are no dull or boring moments. Tightly edited. There's one sequence near the end that I think had a bit of a heavy chop to keep the momentum going, but it was probably for the best (still, a lighter touch might have achieved the same result and not have been as glaring). The plot also makes sense. The characters all behave realistically (assuming your standard dose of movie suspension of disbelief).

It's funny, but perhaps as a plus, not as funny as I thought it was going to be. There are a ton of jokes, but like the action sequences it's not zany or campy or over the top. It's an action-comedy-romantic movie, with equal parts of all three.

My only (very) minor strike against it was the sound design. I watched it in the "best' theatre in the city, and the sound wasn't as bombastic or atmospheric as, say Dune 2 or Civil War. There were no sequences where I thought, "man this is going to sound great at home!"

This was a great--albeit early--start to the summer movie season. If they made a sequel I'd be there on opening night.

I'm looking forward to picking this up on 4k physical media.

9/10

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I really liked this.

The entire cast is outstanding. Not a single weak performance. Ryan Gosling and Emily blunt have great chemistry together both during the "rom com" portions and the action sequences. It reminded me of True Lies in a good way.

Gosling and Winston Duke have a nice "bromance," and it's good to see Winston Duke get some pretty solid screen time here (I think he was underused in the Black Panther movies).

Aaron Taylor-Johnson chews through his dialogue with a hilariously over the top southern (US) accent.

The action sequences were all really solid--which is predictable given the movie's nature and production. But none of them were over the top or zany. They basically (and perhaps deliberately) checked off most of the standard stunts/action sequences you've seen movies for decades. Very fun and entertaining, and they never dragged on and on (which I think happens in many action movies now).

The movie is filled to the brim with inside Hollywood and behind-the-scenes jokes.

The plot clips along nicely, and there are no dull or boring moments. Tightly edited. There's one sequence near the end that I think had a bit of a heavy chop to keep the momentum going, but it was probably for the best (still, a lighter touch might have achieved the same result and not have been as glaring). The plot also makes sense. The characters all behave realistically (assuming your standard dose of movie suspension of disbelief).

It's funny, but perhaps as a plus, not as funny as I thought it was going to be. There are a ton of jokes, but like the action sequences it's not zany or campy or over the top. It's an action-comedy-romantic movie, with equal parts of all three.

My only (very) minor strike against it was the sound design. I watched it in the "best' theatre in the city, and the sound wasn't as bombastic or atmospheric as, say Dune 2 or Civil War. There were no sequences where I thought, "man this is going to sound great at home!"

This was a great--albeit early--start to the summer movie season. If they made a sequel I'd be there on opening night.

9/10
I enjoyed the movie but thought it could have been trimmed a bit.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Did anyone here actually go to the Wednesday sneaks for this?

Edited to fix the intended question mark.

Yes, I saw it last night w/ excellent seat at the Times Square AMC Dolby. Felt kinda meh for a fair portion of the time (though I was also surprisingly tired and had just seen Challengers and revisited Civil War beforehand). Glad to see Lee Majors and Heather Thomas show up in cameo in the mid-end-credits scene right after the stunt credits w/ tons of stunt/cut footages of course... :cool:

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I really liked this.

9/10

Maybe I need to give it another shot when I'm not as tired as I was last night...

It did seem like it should play better than it did for me... but then again, maybe for something like this, I would actually prefer it to be more "zany or campy or over the top" than it is...

_Man_

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kinda uneven at times, kinda cringey at times, kinda ran long a bit, but when you settle in with Gosling's character's super power being his stuntman skill set, the action scenes play out in a rather fun manner throughout the film. The third act still needed work, though. LOL!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The first hour just bangs along...I kinda lost interest in the second hour. The laughs seemed to fall away and a lot of people were up and down in my screening at this point. The stunts and action are great; the theater was bouncing from the sound mix. Gosling does everything he can except break into song; Hannah Waddingham is hilarious. Emily Blunt is always great to watch. Aaron Taylor-Johnson doesn't get a ton to do. It feels like he's in this more more because he looks like Gosling than anything else.

This would have been a great 1 hour 45 minute movie. It's a good 2 hour+ movie.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was not going to see this, at least not in a theater, but the thing that is pulling me into seeing it is the guy that directed it directed Bullet Train, which I thought was a fantastic action/comedy. I recall reading several times that this guy's film Atomic Blonde is a fantastic, underrated film, has anybody seen that and have an opinion? He seems to put together killer casts for his pictures.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The other funny thing I've noticed about this guy's films is the trailers don't do much for me. It is kind of odd, I watched the trailer for Atomic Blonde and like the trailer for this, it almost strikes me as a parody trailer.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I was not going to see this, at least not in a theater, but the thing that is pulling me into seeing it is the guy that directed it directed Bullet Train, which I thought was a fantastic action/comedy. I recall reading several times that this guy's film Atomic Blonde is a fantastic, underrated film, has anybody seen that and have an opinion? He seems to put together killer casts for his pictures.
Yes, it's good, but perhaps not great. Great sets though, and Charlise is great as well. Recommended. Will definitely see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks